On Saturday, August 8, two days after we returned from Washington, Mitchell was able to get his first deer. The time spent with Grandpa at the gun range paid off. Mitchell and I walked into a clear cut where I have always seen a pile of deer. After spotting 7 or so deer which were all does, I finally spotted what I thought was a small spike. I was having a hard time telling what it was, and then it looked up hill and ran off. Then out comes another deer. It stops broadside, about 150 yards below us. Sure enough, it is a forked horn. Mitchell calmly leans over a stump, takes a deep breath, lets part of it out, and squeezes a shot off. The buck really never reacted like it was it, but starts to trot off. Mitchell without panic, shoots again dropping the deer. He was so excited. After making sure his chamber was empty, he heads down to where the deer fell with my direction. Although you can't tell in the picture, he is notching his tag. When I get down to him and the deer, I could see a blood trail leading back from behind the deer. After double checking the deer, I was elated to find two .243 holes just behind the deers shoulder. After pictures and gutting, he helped his dad drag the deer. As we got close to the road, he decided he wanted to get it to the truck the rest of the way. I am so proud of my Boy!
Saturday, August 29, 2009
Mitchell's First Deer!!!!
On Saturday, August 8, two days after we returned from Washington, Mitchell was able to get his first deer. The time spent with Grandpa at the gun range paid off. Mitchell and I walked into a clear cut where I have always seen a pile of deer. After spotting 7 or so deer which were all does, I finally spotted what I thought was a small spike. I was having a hard time telling what it was, and then it looked up hill and ran off. Then out comes another deer. It stops broadside, about 150 yards below us. Sure enough, it is a forked horn. Mitchell calmly leans over a stump, takes a deep breath, lets part of it out, and squeezes a shot off. The buck really never reacted like it was it, but starts to trot off. Mitchell without panic, shoots again dropping the deer. He was so excited. After making sure his chamber was empty, he heads down to where the deer fell with my direction. Although you can't tell in the picture, he is notching his tag. When I get down to him and the deer, I could see a blood trail leading back from behind the deer. After double checking the deer, I was elated to find two .243 holes just behind the deers shoulder. After pictures and gutting, he helped his dad drag the deer. As we got close to the road, he decided he wanted to get it to the truck the rest of the way. I am so proud of my Boy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment