Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Mid-August northend trip

 
 
 
 
In mid-August, we took a trip to the northend to go get salmon. Getting salmon this year was tough as there were very few Kings around, and the coho took forever to come in. The few trips we made out in the boat were fruitless, as they followed seine openings. With virtually no pink salmon out there, the seiners were very effective in getting most of the cohos. Sockeye have been late the past few years, and this year was no different. We were headed to Red Creek to go get sockeye with our Federal fishing permit, but I was doubting our success as it had rained a bit the past few days. On the way up, near Sarkar, a forked horn ran across the road and over the side. Uncle E headed after him, and found him, so in the back of the truck he went. As we approached Beaver Falls rec area, that is exactly what we found...some girls from Whale Pass tried to make the turn to fast, and into the ditch they went. We made sure they were ok, and after getting them out of the ditch, off we went. We arrived at Red Creek to find it swollen. So we headed to my backup spot. I'm not going to say the location because it's my secret, but while Cyndi, Danielle, and E were looking at the cool cave, I checked the falls and found the coho I was looking for. In just a few scoops, we got our limit of 20. The coho were split into three batches: fillets, plain pack, and salmon hash. While Danielle and Cyndi prepared the hash, E and I worked on deer. YUMMY!
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment