Jeff and I got a babysitter on July 21st and decided to go on a fishing date. Take me to a fancy restaurant? Fancy, shmancy...I want hunting and fishing dates with my honey. Well we woke up around 4:30 am and headed way out to the Pacific. On our way out we got scared, big time, by a huge sea lion. The big dude decided to pop up right in front of our boat as we were driving 30 miles/hr to say, "Good fishing" and dove. We swerved and caught our breath to go to a fishing spot we never fished before. There we got some "MONGO" black rockfish. They were huge. I should say I caught the big rockfish and Jeff caught the cutie patootie rockfish. (On my honor...go ahead...ask him. It's not fishermans lie) Then we went out further into the Pacific and got some Vermillion Rockfish. They looked like red snapper but they had black eyes, not yellow eyes like yellow eye (red snapper) do. I got a nice size halibut...it was just right for our family. Just what I prayed for. On our way back we tried for some salmon...we didn't get any. Sure wish we had a down rigger for salmon fishing. Perhaps that will be the next gift I get for Jeffro. Then we saw a pile of bait and fished around it. All of a sudden the bait pile started lifting from the water within four feet of our boat. A huge mouth popped out of the water, baleen splitting open to gulp every bit of the bait that was there. Jeff and I gasped...Jeff said, "Thank God I didn't have a bad heart condition or I would have had a heart attack." The belly of the whale was parallel to our boat. We were in awe watching the whale swim right by. Guess what? No camera...by the time we got out of shock and got the camera the whale was far. It was unbelievable though!
I took a little nap when Jeff was trying some other spots that we hadn't fished before. When I woke up Jeff was just getting out of a pickle at our "secret hot spot". I told him that when fishing this spot you have to watch the current and wind conditions then you will be able to catch big ones. He wanted to go home and I told him...let's try one more time. I'll drive. Well I brought us to the spot...drifted a little ways and .......................................................BAM! Biggest Yellow eye rockfish he or I ever got! I shouted..."Wouldn't ya know it. As soon as I say, let's go home...we get a big fish! Praise the Lord!" Another perfect ending to another fishing day! Thank you honey for the fishing date!
No comments:
Post a Comment