Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Finally! A DEER!

It was a school day, Thursday, August 30 and after dropping the kids off at school Jeff decided to take the day off and take me out hunting. We got to our destination around 10:30. The day was dark and gloomy. It wasn't raining but we couldn't see past 20 feet the entire time on the mountain. The hike up the mountain was fairly easy. There were a couple parts that made my heart jittery, my legs quiver and my arms jiggly. (Being chubby and all)
There were parts that were steep and scary. Who wouldn't be quivering?


We got to what looked like a valley. Jeff forgot the deer call so I called using grass. Not being able to hear anything or see anything we ate lunch and started down the mountain. Half way down there was a Y in a section. Jeff went left and I went right. I stepped onto a rock and looked out through the trees. (picture top left) Just as I looked out I literally heard a voice, "This is where you're going to shoot your deer." I looked behind me to see if Jeff was nearby, he was around the corner saying, this way. I said, "ok" expectingly. I started humming the song, They that wait upon the Lord...just then the fog lifted a little and I saw a doe. I hummed again, Shall renew their strength...the fog lifted again and about 10 feet behind the doe was a buck. I signalled to Jeff...doe and buck! He came around the corner and said, "YUP! That's a buck!" I got into position between the rock and muskeg and had a heck of a time calming myself down. I KNEW, the deer was mine. I KNEW, I would get it. I FINALLY calmed myself down and held my breath and BANG! The deer fell head first and quickly turned and started to run off. I loaded another shell in and didn't have any doubt that I would lose the deer. I shot again and thought I missed as it disappeared. Jeff headed down as I guided him where the deer was. About 10 minutes later...Jeff shouted out, "YUP! You got it!" I shouted, "THANK YOU LORD!" I know it was his voice that I heard. I wasn't as excited about shooting the deer as I was hearing the voice say, "This is where you're going to shoot your deer." We started gutting the deer as fast as we could when a bear started charging down the mountain! It was running down and I hollared to Jeff..."BEAR! BEAR! RUNNING TO US!" He got up and couldn't get a shell in. He shot at a tree and the bear stopped and began sniffing. He turned right and started up the hill. He turned toward us again and I shouted..."GO!" He stopped and sniffed again and Jeff hollared, "Leave us alone...be on your way!" It left down the hill. Paranoid, I continued cutting the hoofs off the deer. My knife slipped as I turned to continue watching for the bear and I cut my thumb down to the bone. I sighed and said, "OH NO!" I lifted up my hand and watched as blood was pouring down my shirt. Using my index finger I pulled down the flap of skin and continued helping Jeff cut the deer as best I could with one arm. We hoofed it down the mountain...sliding was more like it, It started pouring down hard!!! We got into Klawock clinic at 4:15 and they cleaned me up and put four stitches on my thumb.
Since the stitches were blue, Danielle's favorite color, I chose red gauze, Mitchell's favorite color. I look at the picture and laugh. The stitches get taken out on Friday the 7th.
All I can say is...THANK YOU LORD for the deer! Thank the Lord that I didn't cut the tendon. We cut up the deer and saved a bunch of the meet for jerky and grounded up A LOT of meet! This little deer was a chubby lil deer...like who? hehe...don't go there.

No comments:

Post a Comment